Saturday, July 31, 2010

The patient always knows their body better...

Well, as long as they are in the right frame of mind, that is!

But this has always been my thinking. The patient knows their body better than anyone else. I proved it right this week :-)

On Monday I had to call in my glucose levels. Keep in mind I had only started doing this the previous Friday so there was still quite a bit of trial and error, as well as a lot of me 'thinking' there weren't many carbs in the spaghetti bake that JM made and having my glucose go up to 185. Whoops.

Anyways, I was able to control all of the numbers with my diet. My fasting numbers from first thing in the morning were a tad high, but we're talking 91-92 when they're supposed to be under 90. I didn't think this was such a huge deal.

Wednesday one of the nurses call to go over my numbers and she tells me that my morning number is high so they want to put me on nighttime insulin shots. Now, if this were the absolute best thing for Ali, I would do it in a heartbeat. But I know myself and I know my body and I KNOW I can control this with diet (I also don't think 1-2 points higher than my goal is worth insulin, but that's besides the point). I explained to the nurse that first of all, I didn't realize that I HAD to eat the correct nighttime snack (and enough of it) or my numbers would be high in the morning. I had thought by skimping on that snack, it would help. So I asked if I could have a few more days to see if I could control the numbers myself. She responded sure, then asked if I could come in the next day to learn the insulin shots.

Ummmm....no. I was very upfront with her and explained (again) that if I really thought I couldn't do this or if my numbers weren't improving, I would have no problem taking the insulin. But, give me a chance! She finally reluctantly agreed but you could tell that she didn't believe me for a second.

Since then, none of my morning numbers have been higher than 87. So there. Not to teach everyone to be that pain in the you-know-what patient, but if you have doubts, be your own advocate.

No comments: