Thursday, August 21, 2008

How long will I last?

Today I officially started the Phase 1 of the Atkin's program. I tried yesterday, but we didn't have the right food at home so I ended up eating regularly and going to the grocery.
Side note, I'm trying this out per my doctor's recommendation. I was having some (who am I kidding...a lot!) of trouble getting the ball rolling on my weight loss so I started going to the Piatek Clinic. I've seen some progress, but not as much as everyone claims to see with Piatek. He recommended trying the Atkin's program...the meds he's given me have decreased my appettite enough that if I add low carb into the picture, the weight should really drop. I'm skeptical, but trying it.
First off, going to the grocery was depressing. I had the printout of what you can eat the first two weeks and thought there was a lot on it (look here to see what's on it). Yea, that's what I thought until I got to the grocery. I would go up and down aisle after aisle and not see anything on the list. We don't have enough money to get good meat, so I was rather limited. I have a feeling I'll be living on eggs for the next couple of weeks. (According to Atkins, it's nature's most natural food!!! Ugh.)
Last night before bed I read a couple of more chapters of my current book, Jen Lancaster's "Such a Pretty Fat". (BTW, if you haven't read any of her books, you need to! It's hilarious!!!) Of course in the chapters I read she started the Atkin's program. Although it was quite amusing, it also made me a little more negative about starting the program. I think so much like Jen Lancaster that it led me to believe I'll face the same hurdles.
Anyways, today was D-day. So far it's ok. I'm not hungry, but not exactly satisfied with my eating. Then I read a chapter where she discusses Olive Garden...NOT HELPING!!! I did just talk to JM and ask him to eat dinner before I got home from work so I didn't see it. I figure this is just 14 days. I can work hard for 14 days, right? Right???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohmigod-I LOVE Jen Lancaster!! I read that book first, and just finished her other two. Did you know she has a blog? www.jennsylvania.com/ But, anyway-good luck on Atkins. I need to do something, too, and I keep going back to that (in my mind-so far, not in reality). My Dad has been on Atkins for 7 years. Obviously, at this point, he's on the maintenance program, and he has kept it all off-but I wonder, if he weren't on maintenance, would he have kept it off? "cuz, one day, I would have to go back to my bread. potatoes and pasta. So, I say again-good luck.