Thursday, February 18, 2010

Nothing Like Adding a Little Excitement to Your Day...

I've been having pretty intense pain in my left lower back since we found out I'm pregnant. I believed it was a kidney/bladder/etc. infection, but the doctor's office didn't look into it because I wasn't having any other symptoms. They were just attributing it to pregnancy pains and said those things would come and go.

Then the last couple of days I've had very cloudy urine (I know, TMI) and since I was finally off work yesterday I called and told them my symptoms. Since they don't want to give you unnecessary meds while you're pregnant the nurse asked me to come in for a dip stick test. In the meantime, JM came home before class to say hi so he decided to go with me. As I was getting ready, I suddenly noticed a little bleeding. I know it sounds ignorant, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. There wasn't much, but 'given my history', it scared the crap out of me.

I told the nurse about it when I went for the test and she said she thought it probably had to do with my bladder infection (yep, I had one, I wasn't crazy!), but since my doctor was out of town they wanted to be safe so they had me come in for another ultrasound in the afternoon. I love this new office. There was no, "stay on pelvic rest for a day and let us know if it continues", or "that's normal"...they said it was probably fine but let's to an ultrasound just to make sure. Love it! So proactive!!!
JM and I killed some time and then went back for the ultrasound and it was AMAZING! The baby has grown so much!!! These are the pictures from the last ultrasound. You can see the yolk sac is actually bigger than the baby, and you can't make out anything on the baby. The heartbeat is on the bottom of the one on the left and it was 127 bpm and rather small on the chart.

This week was an amazing difference. You can see the head and the profle of the face! (The baby is upside down in the pics and it's head is on the right, if it helps you to see it!) The yolk sac now is tiny and you can see the little leg buds! You can see the heartbeat on the second picture, which is now 178 bpm and off the chart in strength! When she turned the audio on it was actually loud! Then she turned on the infrared and whereas last time it was a little red beating for the heart, this time about half the baby was red with the heart and blood flow! Such a good little baby already :-)


In the end, we're blessed with everything being perfect with the baby. Ladi's measuring 8 weeks and 2 days, almost perfectly with where it should be. They put me on antibiotics for the bladder infection and everything is looking good! Next doctor's appointment is Wednesday at 10:45.

1 comment:

Bev Johnston said...

YAY!!! I'm SO happy to hear that everything is great! Those bladder infections are a pain. I had a couple while pregnant with Case and I had never had one before that. Just one of the many things my little man has taught me:-) I love that you have found a great doctors office! That makes ALL the difference! I'm so glad you're sharing on a blog...I will be following!
Praying for you, JM and little Ladi!